Thursday, March 8, 2007

First Watercolor

I don't know what got into me.
I don't know a thing about watercolors, but I love them.
But today I stopped at Michaels and bought:
A beginners set of watercolor paint (six colors)
A beginners set of paintbrushes
A tablet of Strathmore water color paper
A little plastic thing that you can put the paint in
And an extra tube of blue, a different shade, because I like blue.

Someday I hope I paint something to justify the purchase. But I came home and tried to paint picture.

It's not frameable but I'm not disappointed for a first attempt.

One part of me would like to take a class but another part of me always wants to do things on my own. Somehow it seems less significant if someone teaches me. Which I know is silly. But anyway, here's my picture for the day, in more ways than one.








10 comments:

Ampersand said...

I am amazed at this! I think it is worthy to be framed. Particularly to commemorate your first watercolor!! Really, I love it.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Well, you are so artistic, Paula! My goodness! This is your first attempt? OH MY!

SUSAN said...

Believe me, you got your money's worth! That is an awesome painting, Paula!

Susan

RedGypsie said...

You'll be good at it: you already have a good eye for composition. This landscape looks very, very much like the one that surrounds me every day. Great job on a first try!!

my15minutes said...

Good for you for following through with your inspiration to buy the supplies. Keep it up....great first attempt. Watercolor is a tough medium, imo but I'm like you....I love it.

Sandie said...

I like the way you caught the feeling of light in it. The colors are calming too. Nice job!

Dancingirl said...

Wow! I'm impressed. This is great for a first try. Go, girl! Keep on painting!

Susanne Barrett said...

I love this, Paula. Simply gorgeous! And far, far more accomplished than my first watercolor I did this summer. Much more!

TitanThirteen said...

This is great! Your concept of distance really shines through :o)

Katrina said...

Hey! That's great! A very nice first watercolor. I'm impressed. :) You should keep painting -- often!